Kapuska – Cabbage Brown Rice
Kapuska is a traditional Turkish cuisine whose name is derived from the Russian language word for cabbage. Basically it’s a kind of cabbage and carrot stew. It is cooked in different ways in Turkey: with beans, bulgur, rice, or meat.
Since it’s cabbage season, and it’s everywhere. I thought to make it with brown rice and enjoy the hearty dish in this chilly winter weather.
- 3/4 cup brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 onion
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Boil water and cook rice on medium heat until tender for 30 minutes.
- In a large pan sauté onions until golden, add cabbage and carrot and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and stir. Add seasonings.
- Add cooked rice to the pan and mix well. Let rice cook for additional 10 minutes on a very low heat. Serve hot.
Making this recipe? I would love to see it!